Friday, July 20, 2007

My Hero

For more than thirty-nine years my father has been my hero so I thought it fitting to use my inaugural blog entry to obey the fifth commandment and honor my father.

He and my mother adopted me as a new born, and there hasn't been a day in my life that I haven't felt worthy of his choosing.

In many ways he's an average mid-western American father, but the likes of him are becoming more and more rare.

I recently presented this note I called "Semper Fi" to him, I hope he wouldn't mind me sharing it with the world.

“Semper Fi”

A Marine is above all else…”always faithful”.
My Dad is a Marine, he’s always been a Marine.

As a boy, his faithfulness was born on the farm,
as a teen, his faithfulness defended our nation,
as a man, his faithfulness clocked in year after year,
as a son and nephew, his faithfulness was to the end,
as a brother, his faithfulness always encourages,
as a husband, his faithfulness found a solemate,
as a father, his faithfulness always instructs,
as a grandfather, his faithfulness carries on,
as a great-grandfather, his faithfulness yet abounds.

Five generations have been changed because of
my Dad.

I’ve never been a Marine, but I’m glad he is.
My Dad is the perfect example of what it means
to be faithful, and there is no greater gift a
man can give his family or his nation.

I’m proud to call you my Dad,
May God always bless you.

Semper Fi

If you have stories you'd like to share about how you have honored your mother or father I'd love to hear them.

If you haven't made the effort to honor your mother or father, I encourage you to do so. Don't wait, do it today. I wish I had been wise enough to do so for my mom before she passed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah David! I am so glad that you are sharing your story in your blog. I look forward to reading it. What a wonderful message and story on your father.

Anonymous said...

David, you look like you've been blogging for a long time. So conversational and interesting Thanks for introducing us to your Dad. Looking forward to learning moe about you.