Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It's Official - I'm a Marathoner

Okay maybe just registering and paying the entry fee doesn't really qualify me as a marathoner yet but it was another step in the right direction. With a history of injuries, fee's that are non-refundable, and uncertainty as to who all might join me for the trip to Surf City... believe me this was a big step.

I'm doing well at keeping my calories under control as I work to get my body fat down. When I started the formal training I had my body fat checked at the wellness center and the nice lady told me that I was walking around with nearly 40 lbs of fat. Wow, and to think I was excited to get a new pair of shoes that cut out 10 oz's.

I was at 200 lbs (and those are not my feet) so I set my goal again to get down to 175 by race day. In 7 weeks I'm down 13 lbs (about a half a pound per week, nice a steady). As of today I have nearly 7 more weeks until my half marathon at the end of October so I'm shooting to be down to my goal weight by then.

Cutting my body fat is really my goal though and as I continue to lift I'm sure my weight will level off as I build more muscle mass. I'm just happy my pants are fitting better for the time being, and I'm sure they're happy to get a break from the stress testing they've been under.

So I won't really be a marathoner until I cross the finish line this coming Super Bowl Sunday but I'm living the marathoner lifestyle and it's suiting me well so far.

If you have any words of encouragement please send them. I may even have some encouraging messages recorded and strung between songs on my iPod for my race so I can get a little extra boost every few miles or so.

Well 5am rolls around a lot earlier than it used to so I'm going to head off for some actively rest now.

Scale by Digihuman at Flickr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job on committing to the marathon. That certainly is the first step. I'm am very impressed with your progress and I am sure that you will achieve your goal. I ran my first marathon last fall and it is an awesome experience. Keep up the hard work!