Thursday, October 11, 2007

Confessions of a Marathoner in Training

I write this today as a man a drift, on the verge of spiraling really. Little nagging injuries are dogging me, mostly because I don't follow advice well, I don't do the little things that allow a body to maintain integrity in the face of marathon training mileage. Plantars, sore hips and a knee I've been in denial about for a week are really playing games with my mental toughness.

And then there is the busyness of life that creeps in giving me excuse after excuse not to run. To top it off the "Fat Guy" is really running roughshod over me. "Skinny Guy" has been gone for almost a month and I'm now just 10 days out from my first half marathon and am hanging on.

I'm about to run out the door for 5 miles so all isn't lost.

If you're running the Des Moines Half or Des Moines Marathon on the 21st look me up. I'd love to meet up with you at the Runners' Lounge tent afterwards or see you at the Expo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed your list of running music at Runner's Lounge and had to come check out your blog. I have just started to transition from walking to running. I like the Big Daddy Weave CD - Fields of Grace. Has a great fast beat and the lyrics are excellent, too. I want to say good luck in the Des Moines half marathon, but I will say God speed. I'm praying for you.

Mike said...

Hey brother! I'll be out on the course this Sunday and will be lifting a prayer for you as well. If I have a chance, maybe we'll meet up at the Runners Lounge this weekend...it would be nice to meet a fellow Christian runner!

Check out my blog at:
http://pursuitofrunningness.blogspot.com

Take care - Mike

Running Ragged said...

I just wanted to peak in and wish you a good 1/2 marathon this weekend!

I hope that your mental game will come through and those ailments won't be knocking on your door during the run.

Don't forget to take the time to enjoy the run. :) Good luck!!!

Nancy said...

Hang in there, Buddy. We are almost there!! I know what you mean about Fat Guy running roughshod. How many dixie cups of chex mix did I have???

Great to meet you. You are going to do great.

I posted a press release about our little meeting. Stop by!!

Brad said...

Don't run because you have to, run because you want to. Sometimes I need to take a couple days off from running to re-explore why I'm running. If the joy is not there, don't worry, it'll come back.

And just because we have a few down days does not mean the world is coming to an end...sometimes we need little pauses from our lives. A vacation from reality can be helpful.