Sunday, October 21, 2007

Des Moines Half Race Day

First a word of thanks to everyone who kept me in their prayers or wished me well, who helped me with advice, and who showed up to cheer me on. This was a fun day and each of you made it possible.


I thought I would share some pictures of how I was encouraged by my kids this morning after the alarm went off this morning. I had a feeling this was going to be an emotional day but this was such an awesome way to be sent out the door.

When I got to the car I found one last sign that read "You're our champion Daddy". I put it up on in the window and plan to leave it there for some time.

As I got downtown the excitement grew as I stretched and prepared. Tom and Amy were there with the Runners' Lounge booth and I was happy to see Nancy there too. I lined up, we sang the National Anthem and were off. What an awesome feeling to run with thousands of people as we headed toward the capital building. Before I knew it I was across the bridge to WaterWorks Park and was greeted by my Aunt Mary and Uncle Denny, and their dog Lucy...screaming and cheering for me.

I found that the crowds really do make a difference and give you a shot of energy when you need it. The quiet and long lap around WaterWorks was tough because most of the way there was no music and no spectators cheering. Coming out of WaterWorks I was over to Gray's Lake I ran into my aunt and uncle again, exchanged high fives and kept on moving.

Water here, Gatorade there and a couple of pack of GU helped at mile 8, but as I was coming down the long stretch of MLK Parkway I ate a Stinger pack and boy did I need that.

At the Science Center of Iowa we turned North again and I could see the finish line. Thanks for the high five and the word of encouragement Denise. That last two tenths I was really shuffling more than running and was glad to get it over.

My wife and kids were there at the finish line to cheer me in and just like that it was over. My heart rate wasn't high, I wasn't out of breath but I was glad to be done. Turns out all those miles
of training paid off. I finished the race in 2:08:27 which was a 9:49 minute pace. I was hoping to break 2 hours in the back of my mind but am happy with this. Sure beats my 2:36 Dam to Dam time from two years ago.

There aren't too many times in your life you can say you shared your first time with 4,000 people but I lost my 13.1 mile virginity with some pretty neat friends today. Congratulations to
everyone who completed their first half marathon, full marathon, or the 5k races today.

104 days and counting now to prepare for my first full marathon.

Until next time....keep moving forward.


















5 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh yes, he really is a Running Hawkeye. Great job out there. That is fantastic!!! What a great support group you had, love the signs.

I'm not going to post until I have my pictures in order. But, I do have a similar picture as you do!!

Nancy, the Half Marathoner :D

Anonymous said...

You must have oozed with excitement seeing the signs the kids made. You're grooming great fans. Glad your extended family saw you running too.

David you did a super job today! Nobody forget their first HM. So proud of you. Great pics and what a great place to lose it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go David! I am still cheering for you!

Kent said...

Congratulations David! You have a great time and absolutely should be bragging about it all week if not the rest of the year. I would bring it up in all sorts of non-related contexts. "What that you want that report yesterday? Sorry I smoked a half-marathon, and I couldn't be bothered by it."

Having your kids see it makes it all the better. Take them for a 13.1 mile drive, and watch their eyes light up with the realization of how far dad ran. Major kudos!

Mike said...

Hey fellow Hawkeye, congratulations on the marathon! Hope to hear more on your blog about any future endeavors. God bless!