Saturday, August 25, 2007

First Official Training Week Highlights

Over the last 48 days I have really enjoyed running and getting my body used to doing more than pushing a stroller and climbing a flight of stairs or two. My 890 plan is at day 728, leaving just 162 days until I lace up the shoes for an early morning 26.2 mile run.

This morning I ran 5.2 miles, a route that I've made myself very familiar with over the last couple of years, but this morning was different. Recently I bought a new pair of running shoes, putting my Brook's Beasts aside for this Asics model saved me 5 oz per shoe and they feel great. Today on my run I felt stronger than ever, my stride was easy and the hills that I used to dread I climbed with much more ease.

All this had my mind turning toward my race and as I ran I began visualizing the course, the finish line and anticipating the sense of accomplishment I'm sure I'll have. When my wife ran the Rock 'n' Roll 10 years ago I was there to cheer her on at a couple points and the finish line. For my race I hope to have her and our two children there to root for me.

Up until earlier this week I have usually shied away from running with others out of fear of being so slow that I'd hold them back...but I discovered the perfect compromise. As we were visiting the kid's grandmother in Moline, IL I went for a run through the John Deere headquarters property (which I highly recommend, very beautiful, nice hills, two deer watched me as I circled the lake).

As I got back to the house I found the route wasn't as long as I was shooting for so I headed out again but this time the kids wanted to run with me...my 7 and 4 year olds. By this time in my run I was going slow enough for them to keep up with me for a bit.

My daughter ran .6 miles in flip flops and my 4 year old son ran .3 miles. They both commented that they could walk almost as fast as I was running (told you I was slow, but I wasn't going that slow, honestly). Anyway, bottom line was that this little part of my run was the best part of the whole thing. Running with them gave me energy and it was fun to see them enjoying running too. I'm going to try to have them go with me for short sections when ever I can.


Running Shoes by RLivsey at Flickr
Deere Aerial Shot borrowed from the John Deere Website

1 comment:

Kent said...

Keep up the training! I'll be at the Des Moines race (my first full), and just wanted to wish you luck in getting the miles as you prepare for your first one. I know what fun being "on the clock" can be with a training plan. Just remember the training plan is a wise guide, but listen to your body along the way.