Sunday, August 12, 2007

Music to My Ears

Yesterday morning as I headed out the door for a Saturday run I had my iPod in hand and was searching for some music to jump start my heart and run. As I scrolled I hit my patriotic play list by accident but it wound up being an awesome choice.

God Bless America, The Star Spangled Banner, The Stars and Stripes Forever, My Country! 'Tis of Thee, are all awesome songs that evoke my pride in this great country of ours. I don't know about you but I'm the kind of guy that gets chocked up singing the national anthem and these songs really do get me moving.

So while I was hoping to find something out of a Rocky movie I found these songs, and I know next time I get out and run with the iPod I'll do it again.

Later that day I was driving to Kansas City for a quick visit and a strong sense of patriotism struck me once again as I kept seeing all the bumper stickers and ribbon magnets with slogans like "God Bless America", or "Support Our Troops".

Those three hours were really a great opportunity for me to reflect on how blessed I am, my family is, how blessed we all are to be citizens of the greatest country on earth and it made me mad as hell to think of those who would seek to harm us from abroad and from within.

Anyway, next time I'm out for a run not only will I be pulling up the patriotic tunes on the iPod but I'll be looking for flags, bumper stickers, men and women in uniform to thank and I'll be counting my blessings all over again.

Flag at Flickr by Yakk0odotorg
Ribbon at Flickr by Jason Eppink

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Running always adds another dimension to music - seems to make it sound even better!