Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Our First Foster Experience

My wife and I are newly licensed foster parents and back in March of this year we took our first placement. I'm glad to report that the young child returned home to mom recently after about four months with us.


I have to admit that going into foster parenting I held many stereotypes about parents who would behave in ways that would end up causing them to lose their children. What I learned through our first experience is that these stereotypes aren't true in every case.

I'm so glad that we had the child we did because this mom did everything she was directed to do. She acomplished a nice list of things during our time with them, she didn't miss or show up late to a single doctor appointment, she didn't show any resentment toward our family and was very thankful for our help.

I'm really thankful she was our first mom because they are not all going to be so perfect, and its during those placements that I'll need to recall our experience with her to maintain our faith in the system.

Boy on Shoulder by David Zentz at Flickr

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I am proud of you. It is hard to take care of your own children let alone a foster kid.
Kudos to you and your family